Saturday, October 23, 2010

Lib Dem MP's wife accused of stealing kitten from her husband's mistress

Beauty the kitten A Lib Dem MP's wife has appeared in court accused of stealing a kitten - from the woman who got her claws into her husband.

Christine Hemming, 52, allegedly burgled the home of 32-year-old Emily Cox in September and took a tabby called Beauty.

MP John Hemming, 50, fathered a daughter with researcher Miss Cox five years ago.

When magistrates asked Christine if she wanted to be called Mrs or Miss, she said: "I'm not quite sure at the moment."

She did not enter a plea and the case has been ordered to go to crown court.

But after the hearing, Christine admitted she had been in the house and taken the £20 cat.

She said: "In retrospect it was a mistake. I put myself in harm's way. I should not have gone.

"I knew she wasn't in. I just went there, bent down and picked up the cat and then I thought it was about time to leave the house and I took the cat but it was not the reason I went there. I'd like to make it up with the offer of another cat.

"It was only a young cat and a relationship had not developed that much. I'm prepared to buy a similar kitten."

MP John Hemming
She added: "Relations between Emily and I have never been good. They should have improved but deteriorated significantly."

 Mr Hemming still lives with his wife in Moseley, Birmingham, but yesterday described his domestic status as "unclear".

And last night he arrived at the nearby home of Miss Cox, a Lib Dem city councillor, with their daughter, Isabel.

Mr Hemming said: "I'd just like the cat back. I've spent time looking for the kitten. Her brother, Twinkle, is pining for her."

The Birmingham Yardley MP had earlier posted a picture of missing Beauty on his blog with a message saying: "If anyone has seen this kitten please contact me at the House of Commons. There's a reward for its return."

Recruitment agency boss Christine was released on bail yesterday on condition she does not contact Miss Cox.

When Christine found out about the relationship in 2005, she stood by her millionaire husband and said that the six-year affair was "about number 26". Source: The Mirror

No comments:

Post a Comment